Food Waste Facts
We hope that Reap food rescue™
will help you to reduce the amount of good food that ends up in landfill every day in your community.
OzHarvest believes that with so many people in need it is wrong that good food is going to waste instead of being used to feed people in need.
For every 1kg of food that OzHarvest rescues from landfill we save 2kg of greenhouse (kg Co2-eq) emissions and 143 liters of water.
You can do the same!
- Australians waste an estimated $5.2 billion of food every year
- 1 in 5 shopping bags of food goes to waste
- Australians waste over 3 million tonnes of food each year
- Food waste in Australian landfills is the second largest source of methane
- 47% of municipal waste going to landfill is food and green waste
- World-wide nearly one billion hungry people could be lifted out of malnourishment on less than a quarter of the food that is wasted in the richest countries
Throwing away good food also means all the elements that went into its production also go to waste - so:
- 1kg of beef sent to landfill = 50,000 litres of water wasted
- 1 kg of white rice sent to landfill = 2,385 litres of water wasted
- 1 kg of potatoes sent to landfill = 500 litres of water wasted
For more food waste facts see www.ozharvest.org